What is Startup Weekend EDU?
Startup Weekend is a global network of passionate leaders and entrepreneurs on a mission to inspire, educate, and empower individuals, teams and communities. Startup Weekends are 54-hour events where developers, designers, marketers, product managers, and startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams, build products, and launch startups! Startup Weekend EDU are Startup Weekends with a focus on only education.
Edupreneurs from Justin Gutwein on Vimeo.
Why in Phoenix?
This is the first ever Startup Weekend EDU in Phoenix
. The K-12 and Higher Education sectors have significant challenges here and therefore, interesting opportunities. We need collaboratively think of innovative ways to tackle these challenges. The number of startups have been growing in the valley. Startup Weekend EDU is a space to draw the startup momentum to education and solve meaningful problems. Join us for the highly anticipated launch in our community.
What ideas succeed at Startup Weekend EDU?
Any idea related to education can be pitched. For example, if you want to start a new school model, create an edtech app, or provide a Makerspace service, Startup Weekend EDU is for you. Your idea must be at the early stage, with little to no prior development. We encourage all members of the community to share ideas and get feedback.
Here are some examples of startups that have come out of Startup Weekend EDU in other parts of the country:
- ImagiLabs’s Challenge Box - educational adventure games for kids age 8-12 and seek to inspire them to explore real challenges until they find their moment of triumph
- Qeyno - a career exploration game that helps inform students about possible STEM career options & offers guidance on how to achieve them
- Kidfit Academy – a nonprofit running interactive physical & health education curriculum that empowers students to take control of their health & wellness with fun technology
- PDnearMe – a marketplace for finding and tracking professional development for K-12 teachers
Why attend this Startup Weekend?
It is about learning, professional development, and support. We structure the weekend's curriculum to help you gain new knowledge and skills in business, design, and development. You can also build your network, get face time with education and business thought leaders in Phoenix, and of course, find people to launch a successful business.
Who should attend?
If you are passionate about education and have an idea or want to lend your talents to a great idea, Startup Weekend EDU is for you.
- Participants - We're looking for students, educators, designers, developers, business and school leaders to kickstart the next great startup. Register today!
- Coaches - Do you have a successful education startup already in the Valley? Come mentor the next class of entrepreneurs. Contact us for more information.
- Sponsors - If your organization has similar goals and would like to support the first Startup Weekend EDU in Phoenix, check out the sponsorship tiers and contact us.
- Volunteers - If you have media, video, social media, photography, or personal skills to lend to the event itself, we'd love to hear from you.
And look out for discounts from our partners and sponsors! Your ticket covers training, seven meals, snacks, all the coffee you can drink, and support for our community. It also helps provide only serious entrepreneurs the resources from Startup Weekend. Any proceeds go back into education in Phoenix. Participants also get freebies
from our sponsors.